Translate This Page

Saturday, April 14

BRING OUT THE THRASH

I recently watched several episodes of Metal Evolution, a documentary series by Sam Dunn.  I recommend it if you like hard rock.  It explores the branches of the Heavy Metal family tree. 

Prior to entering college, I mostly listened to Glam like Motley Crue and Whitesnake.  This was because that seemed to be the only alternative to dance music on mainstream radio at the time.  My freshman year of college, I shared a dorm with 13 other girls (with only 2 1/4 bathrooms!).  One of them joined the college radio station with me because she wanted to host a metal show.  She introduced me to Thrash bands Metallica, Anthrax and Method of Destruction.  (Happy Birthday, Amy!)

This Speed Metal appealed to me probably because of its Punk influences.  It was not about theatrics like the Shock Rock of KISS.  It did not feature the screeching vocals of Power Metal like Judas Priest.  It was stripped down and dirty rock.

KJRW presents Bring Out the Thrash Week, featuring songs from Suicidal Tendencies, Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, Cro-Mags and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment