Translate This Page

Sunday, February 12

YOU DRIVE ME WILD

One year ago, I stood front and center for a Joan Jett and the Blackhearts show in Seattle.  Joan saw me from above, singing along to her every word.  After the concert, I caught the attention of her manager, Kenny Laguna.  He was looking for Joan, and I pointed him in the direction of the door I saw her walk through moments before.  I told him I had a gift for her, and he said they would be back in soon.

I waited.

Ed, the tour manager came in to see what my gift was.  He shined his flashlight on the slate sculpture I had made.  I thought he would take it from me and send me on my way, but he told me to wait there.

I waited.

Ed, Kenny and Joan came back through the door in a group and ushered me to a corner.  I shook their hands.  Ed shined his flashlight on the sculpture again.  On the back, I had written information about KJRW.  I told Kenny and Joan how their show on the Underground Garage had inspired me.  I listed the Blackheart Records (their label) artists played on KJRW.  I mentioned that I had been a Joan Jett fan for 30 years.

And then, Ed said they had to go take some pictures.  I figured that meant it was time for me to depart.  To my surprise, Ed asked me to walk with them.  There I was, walking side-by-side with my idol, with her tour manager leading the way with his flashlight.

I looked on as photographs were snapped of Joan with various groups of people.  Kenny was talking to some blonde about emailing him at Blackheart, saying he produced all the records.  The blonde did not seem to be showing him any respect, so I leaned over to inform her this man had played with Tommy James and the Shondells.  Kenny smiled.  She probably did not know the creators of "Mony, Mony" and "Crimson and Clover".  When it was the blonde's turn for a picture, Ed held up a hand and said he wanted me to stand with Joan for the next photo.  I was a little embarrassed because I didn't ask to be in a photo, nor do I consider myself very photogenic.  But, I did not mind putting my arm around Joan's waist while she gripped my shoulder as a few flashes of light went off.

When it was ultimately time to leave, I watched Ed, Kenny and Joan walk back to the door. 

"Wait," Joan said.  She turned around, walked back to me and gave me a hug. 

It was the best night of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment