Translate This Page

Monday, September 19

Nevermind

I originally posted this in July, when SPIN issued its magazine all about the Nirvana album, Nevermind.  This week is the 20th anniversary of that great record.  In celebration, you will hear a song from that album every hour on KJRW.   And don't miss the special presentation of the entire album played in under a minute!


When Nirvana's Nevermind was released in September 1991, the number of copies shipped to U.S. retailers was 46,251. It has now sold over 25 million copies worldwide. SPIN magazine celebrates "The 20th Anniversary of the Album That Changed Everything" in its August edition. In its pages, many give their accounts of what the album means to them.

It was my senior year at college. Our station, WSCW played the crap out of the album. I have to admit that it didn't grab me right away. I was into Pearl Jam's Ten and the Red Hot Chili Pepper's Blood Sugar Sex Magic a bit more. Those albums all came out within a week or so of each other. All of them occupied my CD player, along with the Singles soundtrack for many months. Nevermind grew on me. From the bombastic beginning of Smells Like Teen Spirit to the sad ending of Something In The Way -- and then after about ten minutes of silence, Endless Nameless surprised me.

What does Nevermind mean to you? What is your favorite song on the album? Come As You Are? Polly? Lithium?

No comments:

Post a Comment